WEEKEND POST 124
In the blink of an eye (or, in my case, a week travelling) summer arrived. The heat pump units whir back to life as homes begin the extended season of air conditioning. Thunderstorms are regularly in the forecast. And the now fully-leafed trees and tall, scraggly grasses are Crayola Green, to which the azaleas — a flower our area is known for — offer a shockingly fluorescent contrast.
We spent the first part of this weekend working on + beautifying our yard + gardens. Afterward, a meal of grilled veg with locally- and sustainably-caught triggerfish — fresh-from-the-dock and surprisingly sweet + meaty. With glasses of an intense Chilean Pinot Noir, supper was a killer reward for the laborious afternoon. Earth Day win! Today is wet and windy, so it’s into the city for errands, possibly exploring a new brewery.
What were you up to? Anything special to honor + better our environment? Hope it’s a terrific weekend so far, and don’t forget the round-up of my favorite links below!
+ + + +
Some interesting, fun, delicious reads:
- Characterized by abdominal pain or discomfort, and either one of, or an alternating combination of, chronic or recurrent diarrhea and constipation, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) affects roughly one in five Americans, and an estimated 10-15% of the population worldwide. The exact cause of IBS is not known, but its symptoms are unpredictable and can range from mild inconvenience to severe debilitation. Join the effort during IBS Awareness Month in April to help raise awareness of the impact of IBS on the lives of all affected.
- Born in China debuts in select U.S. theatres this weekend. For every ticket sold during the opening week, Disneynature will make a donation to the WWF to support conservation efforts in that region.
- John James Audubon as the hero of a graphic novel!
- If you ask me, Pigcasso out-paints most of what passes for modern brush art.
- Will we, the consumers who wish to be better informed about nutrition, have to wait longer for a badly needed update to label updates? I hope not.
- This week’s pinned words of wisdom.
Recently on HGN:
- Spring asparagus frittata with zucchini, sun-dried tomato and dill (GF + dairy-free + vegetarian)
+ + + +
p.s. I love hearing from you! Check back if you ask a question, because I’ll answer it here.
And if you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing. Thanks!