WEEKEND POST 115
Experimented in the kitchen earlier this week with a recipe-in-progress for aquafaba meringues, piping out pink hearts for Valentine’s Day. Then came the little guys below: dipped in dark chocolate with macadamia nuts + roasted almond butter sandwiches. Sweet (but sadly all gone)!
We have three days off for Presidents Day — finally some time to spend together. I’ll be baking a new dessert of course, plus a batch of multigrain English muffins. A tray-full of lemon poppyseed bites might also be in order for an immune boost that stops the beginnings of a sore throat in its tracks. (On that topic, check out my advice in a new Oldways article… maybe sauerkraut this weekend, too?)
What’s on your agenda? Wishing you happiness and good health, and don’t forget to check out my favorite links from here and there before you go!
+ + + +
Some interesting, fun, delicious reads:
- February is National Cherry Month. Cherries — fresh, frozen and dried — are rich sources of antioxidant vitamin A + anti-inflammatory anthocyanin flavonoids, plus small amounts of potassium, iron, copper and vitamin C, and is one of the only natural food sources of the hormone melatonin that may promote better sleep and wake cycles. Take these vibrant stone fruits for a savory turn in Santa Maria-style grilled tri-tip salad with corn and pickled cherries, or stick to sweet with my black-bottom cherry bars. Though, this kirsch-spiked upside-down cake is a serious socks-knocker-offer!
- Crumpets take a dark turn.
- Anthony Bourdain is “Apollo in drag as Dionysus.”
- Nearly 400,000 privately-held works of art made public by the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- Trolling this jobs site. (p.s. If anyone knows of a paid remote publications editing position, please share!)
- Humble semantics.
- This week’s pinned words of wisdom.
Recently on HGN:
- Have You Met… Tofu — debunking myths + looking at cooking tips and nutrition
+ + + +
p.s. I love hearing from you! Check back if you ask a question, because I’ll answer it here.
And if you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing. Thanks!