WEEKEND POST 101
If you know me personally, you know that I have an intense aversion to conflict. Arguments — big or small, even those I’m only a witness to — are deeply unnerving and make me downright queasy, and therefore avoided at all costs. These past months of fervor and quarreling left me drained. (Clearly a career as politician or attorney were never in the cards.)
It’s time to move ahead as best we can, with kindness, grace, humility, and hope.
Now that it’s beginning to feel like autumn, a #fridaynightpizza of Brussels sprouts leaves, bacon, onion and fresh sage with a garlic-chilli-oil + Pecorino base seemed an appropriate Weekly Suppers feature. My favorite pieces are those with the poofy crust… bubbles! And our go-to dough recipe is great for that.
What are you up to this Saturday and Sunday? After two rounds of guests, and the first frost + Thanksgiving (whaaaat?) looming, our home needs tidying both inside and out — good timing for the long-ish holiday weekend. Hope yours is full of only the nicest of things, and don’t miss my updates + top links from the past week below!
+ + + +
Some interesting, fun, delicious reads:
- November is National Alzheimer’s Disease Awareness Month. Research links seafood consumption — even as little as in one meal per week — with reduced risk of Alzheimer’s in those with genetic predisposition. Learn more about Alzheimer’s + foods that may help prevent or ease symptoms of this debilitating form of dementia.
- Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and Food52 hopes to make this your least frazzled holiday yet.
- Adding this couples race in Maine to next year’s goals.
- Be kind, be rewarded with more than the usual fuzzy, warm feelings inside.
- Discover the meanings, prevalence + other fun stats of your surname.
- Because most of us will never physically traverse the Panama Canal.
- “So many are not aware of how critical they are in their self-talk… [or] that it feels like the norm.”
- This week’s pinned words of wisdom.
Recently on HGN:
- Spicy Calamari Stew with Garlicky Croutons
- My first Oldways contribution in this article offering tips to help you get into the kitchen and get cooking!
+ + + +
p.s. I love hearing from you! Check back if you ask a question, because I’ll answer it here.
And if you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing. Thanks!