WEEKEND POST 88
Albert Schweitzer once mused that “[t]here are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.” A complicated, decidedly controversial man, he was a mostly positive influence in his time, striving toward goodness through philanthropy and grace. And music and cats.
As I sit typing this morning, our “boys” are sprawled on the cushions next to me, the hauntingly beautiful music of Hildegard Von Bingen lulling them into the first of many naps today. Yes, I like medieval chanting, the pipe organ, and the composers of the Baroque and Renaissance. I love silence, too, but this kind of music helps focus and calm, and provides an otherwise peaceful backdrop. Then again, there are times when only Jimmy Eat World, Guster, The Beatles, Katy Perry, Edith Piaf or good ‘ol Satchmo will do. I’m sure my anthology of Pandora stations would make an interesting case study for some psych student.
This is all neither here nor there; I let Dr. Schweitzer run away with me…
Did you know that August is officially peach month? That means that whatever you do this weekend, you need to find a farmers market, u-pick peach grove, stand at the supermarket, or a guy selling bags out of his trunk and scoop up as much as you can carry before they’re gone. Then, cake.
This Weekly Suppers flashback was from two weeks ago, but oh well because, Friday night pizza! Greek salad minus the greens with an extra virgin olive oil base, fresh tomato, shaved red onion, kalamata olives and feta + fresh oregano, more olive oil and lemon juice before slicing. Glasses of a light, fruity red wine raised in Opa! (Curious about this week’s FNP? Check the Instafeed.)
What are your plans this weekend (aside from hoarding peaches, that is)? Is it the first after sending your littles back to school? Or maybe the last before? Any reason to celebrate, right? We’re celebrating the Packers win, looking forward to many more. Whether your weekend goals are to relax, tackle all the chores, or party barbecue-style, I wish you well, and don’t miss the links below!
+ + + +
Some interesting, fun, delicious reads:
- August is the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ Kids Eat Right Month™, a chance for parents, schools, communities, and dietitians to come together to promote a healthy future for our children. With back to school, focus on providing nutritious meals and snacks to provide all-day energy — and get them involved in the prep to learn lifelong cooking, nutrition and food safety skills.
- This round-up makes me giddy! (You might’ve expected me to choose #10; I want #9 — bunnies!)
- Ever wonder why most barns are painted red?
- Photography, meet drawing.
- Get “[swept] away into a fast-flowing river of notes” — more serene tunes for you.
- This week’s pinned words of wisdom.
Recently on HGN:
+ + + +
p.s. I love hearing from you! Check back if you ask a question, because I’ll answer it here.
And if you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing. Thanks!