WEEKEND POST 84
The garden is happier and happier every day. Only the green and red okra, herbs, and (stubby and misshapen) carrots are harvesting currently, but the tomato plants, eggplants, peppers, summer squash, and onions are growing well. The beets have all been picked, and spring greens are mostly gone. The zucchini came into its full glory last week, then had to be ripped out entirely thanks to an industrious squash vine borer. We enjoyed more than ever in the past, though, so it feels like a victory. And, oh, if the millions of green figs — on both trees this year — don’t make me forget any garden missteps!
Ugly carrots are still sweet! Each pull from the earth makes me smile … something we all could use a little more of these days. Thank God for simple miracles.
What’s on your agenda this weekend? Travel? Time on the water? Playing in your own garden or tidying the yard? It’s the latter for us today, then some real hiking next week, plus time with family we don’t see often. Couldn’t be more excited! So at least pop open the first link below to read up on sun safety, and let’s get at it. Enjoy!
+ + + +
Some interesting, fun, delicious reads:
- DYK that half of all cancers diagnosed in the U.S. are skin cancers? The three most common are melanoma, squamous cell carcinoma and basal cell carcinoma, and estimates suggest one in five Americans will develop some form of skin cancer over their lifetime. The good news is that it is largely preventable. During UV Safety Month, aim to become more sun- (and tanning bed-) savvy, to protect your skin from the kind of damage that can lead to cancer.
- An early summer twist on classic gazpacho.
- If you string up a tetherball in the forest, will wild rams play with it?
- Spoiler-free, spot-on matching GoT characters to their perfect US state.
- Save the violin!
- This week’s pinned words of wisdom — done, and done!
Recently on HGN:
+ + + +
p.s. I love hearing from you! Check back if you ask a question, because I’ll answer it here.
And if you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing. Thanks!