WEEKEND POST 48
“Boys and girls of every age,
Wouldn’t you like to see something strange?
This is Hallowe’en, this is Hallowe’en,
Pumpkins scream in the dead of night.”
Each year our tradition on the 31st of October is to watch a different Tim Burton movie while handing out goodies to our few and far between trick-or-treaters. Granted the majority of his films aren’t Hallowe’en specific, but you have to admit they’re all dark, moody and often other-worldly — characteristics that lend themselves to this delightful holiday! Last year it was The Nightmare Before Christmas (a favorite of mine). The year before that, Coraline. This year, Corpse Bride. Now to figure out which wine and popcorn flavorings to pair with it… What’s your plan?
Be sure to check out the week’s links below, and have a frightfully spooky weekend!
+ + + +
Some interesting, fun, delicious reads:
- October is National Seafood Month, highlighting the sustainability of U.S. fisheries from Alaska to the Gulf of Mexico. Celebrate by paying close attention to the types of seafood you eat, and help revive and sustain the health of our oceans for generations to come. Of course there’s an app to help with that!
- Halloween party-bound? Here are three kid-friendly recipes: 1, 2, 3 + one activity; and two tipples for the grown-up set.
- Let your backyard wildlife share in the fall festivities by turning your porch pumpkin into a bird feeder!
- It works! Genius plastic wrap hack for getting it to stick to those troublesome bowls.
- Thank you Mental Floss for “grief bacon.”
- A letter of resignation from parents to their grown-up child.
- Gents, get your clippers ready for Movember with this PSA from a true mustache aficionado.
- This week’s pinned words of wisdom.
Recently on HGN:
- Body and soul warming spiked chorizo, black bean and plantain chilli
- HGN pumpkin recipe flashback: pumpkin granola with cashews, pepitas, dried cherries and dried plums
- Super recipe flashbacks to former blog past: pumpkin whoopie pies with coconut chestnut cream, pumpkin maple mousse, orange pumpkin pah pancakes, punkin custard
+ + + +
p.s. I love hearing from you! Check back if you ask a question, because I’ll answer it here.
And if you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing. Thanks!