SATURDAY POST 26
Happy Satur-Derby Day! Are you tuning in, or drinking a Bourbon mint julep in a big floppy hat just because you can? I plan to cheer for the horse with the best name: Itsaknockout Lemon Drop Kid. Pucker pony!
We have fifteen minutes before the action starts, so let’s revisit the past week’s highlights through social media. If you’re following me, here are a few things you might have seen recently.
Worth it. Snappy crust jackpot. The leaven lives on in a refrigerated jar, and has already produced several “sour cast-off” goodies: waffles, crepes, and two batches of pizza dough. Any carb-loaders out there in need of a fix?
+ + + +
2. The garden has sprung to life (as has my Instagram feed @hagoesch). Baby sprouts of broccoli, cabbage, chard, summer squash, cucumber, okra and dill are peeking out. The collards, snap peas, arugula, spinach and strawberries are further along and good to eat. Oh, and the wild blackberries are right on schedule, brambling all over the place!
Soon my over-zealous planting (and the deliciously invasive blackberries) will get the best of me, requiring more attention than I have free time. For now I’m content to watch the little miracles bloom and grow, and continue strategizing my plan of attack with trusty resources and greens-powered smoothies. And bread.
+ + + +
3. Hop to Facebook and Twitter (@HGoeschRDN) now, where I recently shared news of an exciting new work collaboration with a community-based recipe, nutrition and wellness platform called Further Food. Their mission — help people further their health through delicious food — aligns very well with my own vision. When the opportunity presented itself, I joined their team of Registered Dietitian Nutritionists who provide nutrition commentary for each of the recipes submitted by Further Food community members. Eventually I’ll share some recipes/articles of my own.
If you’d like to keep up with my contributions, want to peek at the hundreds of healthy recipes currently featured, or just stay on top of the big things ahead for Further Food, you can follow along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram, or sign up for their newsletter at the website. Eat Better, Go Further.
Okay, enough with the social media and computer-ing. I left you with enough time to browse the link round-up from the past week, muddle the mint, pour the Bourbon and nab a ham biscuit before The Greatest Two Minutes in Sports! Hope your week was lovely, and that your weekend will is even better.
+ + + +
Some interesting, fun, delicious reads:
- May is Celiac Disease Awareness Month. Did you know that 3 million people in the United States have celiac disease, but only 10% of them have been diagnosed? Learn more from The University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center. Knowledge is power.
- Walk and talks should be adopted by more businesses, if you ask me. #MoreWestWingLove
- Answering the age-old question: How do I select the best Derby hat?
- Never will you think of cinnamon the same. Incredible (and surprisingly edible).
- If you frequently purchase jars of chopped garlic, stop. You can apparently make it yourself for a fraction of the price.
- Old, yes. Useful? I’ll let you be the judge of that: 30 slang names for body parts.
- What to do if you find a baby bird.
- This week’s pinned words of wisdom.
Recently on HGN:
- Introducing a new series featuring our Weekly Suppers.
- And the return of Have You Met… with a spotlight on chana dal.
- For those of you who like receiving posts in your inbox, simply enter your email address over there in the sidebar, or check the box to subscribe when you leave a comment below!
+ + + +
p.s. I love hearing from you! Check back if you ask a question, because I’ll answer it here.
And if you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing. Thanks!