SATURDAY POST 05
Afternoon, All! Overnight the temperature went from 70s to 30s, with lots of blustery wind. This morning we lit the fireplace, and warmed ourselves with hot espressos and fresh-from-the-oven blueberry macadamia nut muffins. The frozen chill was quite the shock for the plants, too. Layered in thick socks and sweaters, we cleared the garden and filled the neighborhood with the smell of wood smoke from the season’s tree and shrub cuttings. A toasty treat I wish could have lasted longer. Everything was so dry, it roared to ashes in no time.
Fortunately I had the forethought to harvest the last of our peppers, eggplant, kale, swiss chard and arugula earlier in the week. We’ve enjoyed some heartier meals with the bounty, like veal shanks braised in a saffron-tomato-pepper-wine sauce, MFK Fisher’s caponata with Gorgonzola polenta, and fresh butternut squash gnocchi with sage and prosciutto in Parmesan broth. As for the peppers, that container up there is about one-tenth of the total harvest — a peck of peppers? Jalapeno salt, jalapeno oil, pickled jalapenos and a banana pepper relish are already complete, but tons remain, so please share any good recipes you might have!
Hope you all have fun plans this weekend. Bundle up! And be sure to peek at my favorite links below.
+ + + +
Some interesting, fun, delicious and worthwhile reads:
- Nearly 30 million people in the US (about 9.3% of the population) are living with diabetes, and another 86 million have prediabetes. Though it’s still a surprisingly misunderstood disease. In light of it being Diabetes Awareness Month, take a moment to learn about the causes and what steps can be taken to control the symptoms + lower risk of complications.
- Eat a burger to boost immunity? Dietitian-approved!
- Craving cold-weather, stick-to-your-ribs recipes, like this favorite soup.
- Can’t get enough of the live updates from @PhilaeLander2014 on Twitter.
- Hilarious. If you can’t appreciate fine art on its own, try this. (Sorry for the f-bombs.)
- This week’s pinned words of wisdom.
A few things from HGN:
- Kitchen DIYing + a recipe for Homemade Roasted Peanut Butter.
- Only 6 more weeks until 2015, so book a session bundle with me to start the new year already with a bang!
+ + + +
p.s. I love hearing from you! Check back if you ask a question, because I’ll answer it here.
And if you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing. Thanks!